Real Estate Agency Newsletters
The ATO's property webpage
In 2012 the ATO launched a user friendly webpage designed for home owners and investment property owners - www.ato.gov.au/General/Property. This webpage has recently been upgraded in line with the overall upgrade of the ATO general website.
The page covers a range of tax issues, and is a great reference tool for property owners, investors and developers.
The 'need to know' section outlines common property types and details common questions and issues surrounding its uses, and investment or development activities.
For example, the section titled 'inheriting a dwelling' explains the CGT and tax implications at the time of inheritance as well as possible implications upon subsequently selling the dwelling.
Other property types covered include residential rental properties, vacant land, subdividing, property development, building and renovating, property used in running a business and personal residence.
The 'in detail' section provides links to specific and detailed information on common issues/topics. For example:
- Rental properties provide links to the ATO's detailed guides on treatment of rental income and expenses, including how to treat certain residential rental property items. It also includes a guide to common mistakes made by rental property owners in their tax returns and how to avoid them.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) includes a guide to work out how GST applies to GST property sales and transactions. It includes links to information regarding the margin scheme and GST, GST on property adjustments and common GST errors and property.
- Capital Gains Tax (CGT) guides the user to more detailed information on CGT and how it works both generally and in relation to property transactions.
- Loss through disaster outlines whether insurance payments received due to loss or damage to properties may affect your tax liability.
- First home savers account provides guidelines to eligibility and associated benefits.
- Rental affordability scheme (NRAS) provides information encouraging large-scale investment in affordable housing.
The webpage also includes a section which provides links to the latest ATO media releases relating to property matters (i.e. purchases, sales).
While the ATO's property webpage is an excellent reference, clients should always contact their professional advisor or Tas Demos from BDH Leaders for specific advice relating to their situation.